Friday, September 5, 2008

Hurricane tip #2 - Watch your man! or Exhibit 1

2005 - Hurricane Katrina

We had everything we needed. When the storm was over we didn't have power so prepared to barbecue. We had everything we needed....except....the barbecue pit which my father-in-law had put out of harms way in the shed.....

The shed that only opens with electricity!



2008- Hurricane Gustav

We had everything we needed. When the storm was over, of course,no power so we prepared to start up the generator. We had everything we needed....except......the 10 gallons of gasoline that my father, despite multiple warnings, including the previous cautionary tale of Katrina debacle, given to him by three women, had put out of harms way in the shed.....The shed that we had sent him to disconnect from the electricity so it that such a thing could not happen.

Oh yes - the same shed.

The one that STILL only opens with electricity.


As we, the women, stood stunned, staring at the wall trying to will the gas cans from the other side, my mom comes up with the idea that we should break through the wall. I think she wanted to use my dad. Except for the cost to repair the wall, I'm not sure I would have been opposed.

No comments: